RSS Feed

Saturday, March 07, 2009

Theater: Watchmen

Film: Watchmen
Year: 2009
Director: Zack Snyder



---------------------------------
Allie's Review
Rating: 4.5 out of 5

Jon has been dying to see Watchmen for a while now, so we caught an early afternoon showing on opening day. I'm a consistent fan of comic book movies, thought not really comic books, so I definitely expected to enjoy Watchmen. I really, really loved it! The film's strengths were so clearly the writing and the story. I was completely captivated by the story and it didn't miss a beat the entire time. I loved that they were superheroes without real superpowers – a nice little twist the slew of superhero movies these days. There was also some very creative directing and special effects in the film – some slow-mo type of stuff.

Even though most of the movie's actors weren't big names, most everyone did solid work. They all meshed together really well and played off each other nicely. I really became invested in the characters and they were all pretty believable.

The movie also had some pretty strong themes throughout – anti-war, anti-nuclear, justice, power, right and wrong... the list goes on!

My only complaint is some of the makeup was not the best. There were a lot of scenes at different points in time and the aging makeup was a bit creepy looking.

Oh, and also, amazing soundtrack!

Overall, a really solid, well done movie.

------------------------

Jon's Review
Rating: 4.9 out of 5

I had *very* high expectations after I read the comic, and I would say this film *almost* lived up to them. It is an excellent, amazing movie, but not perfect. The comic is very complex, layered, and exciting, and so was this film. From the opening scene, I was riveted. The plot and characters of Watchmen will draw you in and keep you in suspense until the credits roll. If you haven't read the comic, you will love it. If you have read the comic, you will love it - you will notice some differences, but I believe they all worked well. There really were so many great things about this movie that I can only list a few: the casting, the cinematography, the soundtrack, the story, the interplay of the characters, and so much more. I highly recommend it to anyone who's a fan of action, romance, mystery, science fiction, cold war poitical drama... pretty much everybody. If you like movies, you'll love Watchmen. I should warn you - it's a bit long (2 hours, 43 minutes), but most great movies are.

No comments: