RSS Feed

Sunday, March 29, 2009

Theater: Knowing

Film: Knowing
Year: 2009
Director: Alex Proyas




Allie's Review
Rating: 3.5 out of 5

I thought Knowing would be everything that I love in a movie – disasters on a global scale, unexplained mysteries, creepy children... sounds awesome! Well, as much as I really wanted to love, looove, LOVE this movie, but unfortunately, it was only ok. The plot was really captivating at first. Some may say cheesy, but I'm flexible. I liked it. It kept my interest and the special effects were awesome! The disasters scenes were really intense. As the mystery unraveled, I was really wondering where things would lead to. I won't ruin the ending, but let me just say that there is something to be said for the unexplained, and no answer would have been better than a lazy or uncreative answer. Overall, good filmmaking, lame story telling.

--------------

Jon's Review
Rating: 2.5 out of 5

When I first saw the trailer for Knowing, I told Allie it was Next meets The Davinci Code meets The Day After Tomorrow. In short, a disaster movie with a chain of disasters instead of just one (plus Nick Cage). Allie loves disaster movies (plus Nick Cage), so this comment actually worked against me. However, this film took a different route than I expected. Sometimes the dialog was corny, Nick Cage's acting was usually bad, some plot points felt rushed, but the twists at least kept me interested. I did feel that this movie (like many in recent years) explains away too much - I like a little mystery, and lately the trend in Hollywood sci-fi and fantasy is to leave no mystery at all and no question unanswered. To their credit, they were pretty thorough in that regard. The only question I had when I left the theater was "WTF?" And keep your eyes out for the biblical references. I probably missed a lot of them, but I could feel the overall tone heading that direction.

No comments: