RSS Feed

Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Camping

Here are some more pics from our trip to Florida. We stayed in a hotel for most of the trip, but for kicks Jon and I hiked out onto a beach and went camping! It was really great! I'd never been camping right on the beach before. We camped at Johnson Beach on Perdido Key, which is part of the Gulf Islands National Seashore. It was primitive camping with no services, so you just had to hike all your gear in, walk a mile or so down the beach in the sand, and set up shop! My Dad dropped us off and picked us up the next morning.

Jon walking on some washed up logs.



Some sea art - already there when we walked by.



Tent and the ocean.



While we were hanging out on the beach, a great blue heron came up to us! He was begging for food and got really close! I took a bunch of great pictures, and I will save most of them for their own post.



Sun setting behind the sea oats.



Dead crab!



Got up early to watch the sun rise.



Walking back to be picked up, we were the first ones on the beach. I didn't pose this photo, but there are no less than 6 sand dollars here!




Over all it was really awesome to camp on the beach, and depsite the less-than-perfect night sleep, I'd do it again in a heart beat!

1 comment:

TC said...

Oh man, those are GORGEOUS!!!!!

I camped on the beach in Alaska: on the Homer Spit to be exact. You're right: you don't sleep the greatest, but it's sooooooo worth it.